With live streaming continually expanding and growing in popularity over time, more and more platforms have begun to support live streaming features to create new ways for content creators to connect with their followers. TikTok is one of many platforms that has introduced the ability to broadcast oneself live, as an additional way for creators to make content outside of the platform’s standard content. Platforms have begun discovering the potential of live video content, with TikTok being one of the most recent platforms to add the ability to live stream.
On top of supporting live video content, TikTok has even started to support live streaming from one’s PC, which opens up a number of new possibilities for content creators. Today, we’ll be going over how users can go live on TikTok on PC, the requirements needed, the benefits of streaming on TikTok, and more.
How To Go Live on TikTok on PC
Going live on TikTok on PC is a fairly easy process, however, there are a few things that must be done initially before you can start your first live stream. Content creators have to meet certain requirements in order to become eligible to stream, set up their streaming software, and connect their TikTok account with the streaming software of their choice. Here’s a breakdown of how to go live on TikTok on PC.
Requirements To Go Live
Live streaming is a feature on TikTok that is currently only available to a select number of users on the platform. In order to be eligible for live streaming, users must meet several criteria. The requirements for being eligible to live stream are the following:
- Have at least 1000 Followers
- Must be at least 18 years or older
Even after having these two requirements fulfilled, users may still not have the ability to live stream. If this is the case, TikTok allows users to apply for live streaming access.
How To Find TikTok Live Stream Key
Before you can use TikTok Live, you first have to acquire a stream key for your account. Luckily, the process of finding it is incredibly simple and easy to do. Here are the steps that are needed in order to find your TikTok Live stream key:
- Go to TikTok on your PC. Log in.
- Click on the “Go Live” button. This will redirect you to the web URL livecenter.tiktok.com/producer.
- Scroll down to the “Go Live” button at the bottom of the page.
- Enter your stream’s title, the topic/category, and select the cover image for the stream.
- Click save and go live. This will bring you to the live screen (you won’t actually be live yet). Here, you can view your stream URL and stream key.
- Copy both your URL and stream key. Paste them both into Streamlabs.
Adding TikTok Live Key to OBS
Before you can go live on TikTok on PC or mobile, you first will need to add your live key to your broadcasting software. One of the most widely used software for streamers is OBS. One you’ve downloaded and installed OBS, open it up.
- Go to File->Settings
- Select Stream from the left hand side bar
- Change the Service to Custom, then paste in the server URL from your TikTok producer page, and also paste in your Stream Key.
- You’ve now linked OBS with your TikTok live stream. Selecting Go Live in OBS will begin transmitting your stream. If you’re unfamiliar with OBS you may want to spend some time configuring your settings to better optimize your stream quality.
Adding TikTok Live Key to Streamlabs
Now that we’ve shown you how to go live on TikTok with OBS, we’re going to show you how this can be done on alternative but very popular software. Let’s walk through the process of adding your TikTok live key to Streamlabs.
- First, you’ll want to make sure that you have Streamlabs on your computer. If you don’t, then download it.
- Open Streamlabs, and then select TikTok from the platform choices.
- Log in to your TikTok account. This will link Streamlabs to your TikTok account.
- Go to Streamlabs. Click on “Go Live.”
- A window will open up, which will prompt you to enter both your TikTok stream key and Server URL.
Benefits of Streaming on Tiktok
There are several huge benefits to live streaming on TikTok – and we’re going to share the five biggest ones with you today! Here are the biggest reasons why you should consider live streaming on TikTok immediately:
1. Create Longer Content
TikTok users are heavily limited by the short-form style of the platform. With videos limited to only just ten minutes or less, live streaming allows users to produce long-form content. This gives users much more flexibility and creates possibilities for new types of content that would ordinarily never be possible with the shorter video length limitations.
2. Form Stronger Connections
Additionally, another big advantage of utilizing TikTok’s live streams is that content creators can form much stronger connections with their followers. During live streams, streamers have the ability to chat with followers in real time, answer questions, read comments out loud, and even play games with viewers.
By directly talking to one’s viewers, streamers can form stronger connections and improve engagement which can create a better sense of community.
3. Grow Your Following
TikTok Live can help you grow your following on TikTok, as it serves as a great way to get discovered by more users. One excellent way to get as many new users as possible to check out your live stream is to post a brand new video shortly before going live – this will increase the chances of users finding your live stream through the new post, which may show up on the “For You” page.
4. Monetizing Your Channel
TikTok Live also offers a new way to earn money on the platform. While live streaming, users can earn money through a number of different methods including the following:
- Subscriptions – Similar to other platforms like Twitch, TikTok allows users to Subscribe to their favorite content creators, which costs a monthly fee. Users are incentivized to subscribe with perks such as Custom Emotes, Badges, and access to Sub-only chats.
- Gifting – The most common way of earning money on stream is through gifts. Users can send gifts, which are in TikTok’s Diamonds currency. Users can set LIVE Goals, which are donation goals that help to offer viewers rewards for reaching a specific donation milestone – the goal can be anything from creating a new fun video to hosting an AMA (ask me anything) stream.
- Affiliate Sales – If you happen to have an affiliate sponsor, advertising a product on-stream is a great way to increase affiliate sales. Any time a viewer clicks your affiliate link and makes a purchase, you’ll receive a percentage of that sale.
5. Making Reusable Content
Another huge advantage of live streaming on TikTok Live is that, quite often, content from streams can be repackaged and reposted as regular video content on TikTok or other social platforms. This allows viewers who didn’t catch a stream to still catch some of the best bits from the broadcast while also giving themselves additional views.
TikTok Live Rules/Guidelines
Before you decide to stream on TikTok Live, it’s important to understand all of the community guidelines and rules. In order to remain on the platform and retain your streaming privileges, it’s necessary for users to follow all of its rules. TikTok Live’s rules forbid all of the following content:
- Violence, terrorism, and organized hate
- Adult content (sexual or pornographic)
- Hate speech
- Slurs and derogatory language
- Criminal activity (drugs, fraud, gambling, etc.)
- Violent and graphic content
- Self-harm and suicide
- Grooming and exploitation of minors
- Misinformation, impersonation, and spam
To summarize everything above, basically keep things fairly clean and appropriate, as TikTok has tons of younger users. Violating any of TikTok rules can result in getting banned from using TikTok Live or possibly the entire platform altogether.
Where to get Overlays for your TikTok stream
If you really want to add a bit of extra flair to your TikTok live stream, then you may want to consider using an overlay. There are many different places where you can find overlays, including Fiverr, Streamlabs Ultra, or even hiring a private artist to create overlays from scratch. However, all of these options can end up being quite expensive.
Hexeum features a large library of custom stream packs, including facecam borders, alerts, widgets, and more that can help elevate your live stream and really stand out from others.
Tips For Growing Your TikTok Stream
There are a lot of important factors to consider when trying to grow your stream on TikTok – and while we already wrote a guide on the best ways to grow a stream, there are some tips that are more applicable to TikTok streams in particular. Here are five tips for growing your TikTok stream:
1. Test Your Internet Connection Beforehand
Always, always, always test your Internet connection before going live on TikTok. Make sure that, when you go live, you’re streaming from an area that has a good connection. Streaming from rural areas, nature, or even in a home with a spotty Wi-Fi connection can be absolutely catastrophic for live streams. A poor connection might result in laggy video, poor video quality, or even a dropped stream altogether. Because of this, double-check your internet connection and make sure you’re good before going live.
2. Keep Your Setup Simple
TikTok is a much more casual platform than other competitors like YouTube and Twitch, so you shouldn’t worry too much about creating any sort of elaborate setup for broadcasts. Keep your setup simple and straightforward, as the most important part of creating successful TikTok streams is to engage with your audience and just have fun chatting with them.
3. Go Live on a Consistent Basis
The more you go live, the greater your chance that you will be discovered by new potential followers. Streaming regularly can greatly improve your chances of sustained growth, so it’s highly recommended to stream consistently and regularly. Just as it’s important to post new videos on a regular basis, it’s also important to regularly stream as well – this will allow your fans to get to know you better and also help you monetize your channel better.
It’s also important to consider and plan the best times to go live with your streams in order to avoid the peak hours when the majority of viewers are watching their favorite big streamer.
4. Have Good Lighting and Audio
Having good production quality is important for all content creation, regardless of whether you’re live streaming on YouTube, Twitch, Facebook, or TikTok. And while live on TikTok, it’s vital to have good lighting and audio, if nothing else. To achieve good audio quality, make sure you’re streaming in a room or area that has decent sound – so that means avoid larger rooms with a lot of reverb, close your windows, and turn off any machines or devices that may be making additional noise.
Lighting is also very important – so try using natural lighting during the daytime, utilize the three-point DIY lighting in low-lit rooms, or use a pair of lamps (one lamp on each side) if streaming during the nighttime. These are easy ways to achieve good lighting without breaking the bank.
5. Be Engaging and Authentic
TikTok’s short-form content differs greatly from live streaming, with the two being incredibly different forms of content. Transitioning from short-form to long-form live content can be jarring, but the most important thing to remember is to remain authentic when live streaming and continue to engage with your audience.
Going live on TikTok, like all live streaming platforms, requires creating fun and engaging content, although many content creators tend to neglect their branding – both on and off stream. This shouldn’t be neglected, as your brand is what represents you.
And whether you’re going live on TikTok, Twitch, or any other platform, it’s important for you to be consistent across all of your content branding, including your channel profile, art, and streaming overlays. Thankfully, there are loads of great resources out there, with options that can fit just about any style.
Hexeum is an online store that sells high-quality streaming overlays, alerts, and widgets that can be used with all major streaming platforms including Twitch, Kick, YouTube, Facebook Live, TikTok, and more. If you want to reinvent your channel’s branding and stand out from others, then Hexeum may be perfect for you. Visit the store today!